Calling all you lovely almond fans out there – this yummy Cherry Bakewell cake was created for you! Bakewell tarts are one of my all time favourite British treats. With there buttery pastry base, cherry jam middle, frangipane topping and glacé cherry – they’re just heavenly! However since I’ve been diagnosed with Coeliac Disease, I haven’t been able to find a gluten free alternative that will curb my cherry/almond needs.
So what do you do when you’re not happy with the lack of gluten free options? Make it yourself of course! This delicious cake has three different types of almonds – ground almonds, chopped whole almonds and almond extract – making it that extra bit more delicious!
- 1 1/2 cups ground almonds (180g)
- 1/2 cup GF oat flour (60g)
- 1tsp baking powder
- 1/2 cup almonds, chopped (50g)
- 2 tbsp almond milk
- 1/3 cup coconut oil, melted (65g)
- 1/3 cup maple syrup
- 1 tsp almond extract
- 2 eggs or egg replacement*
- 15 cherries (fresh or glacé)
- handful of flaked almonds
*to make a 1 flax egg mix 1 tbsp ground flaxseed with 2.5 tbsp water – then leave to sit for 5 mins. This will form a gloopy mixture which you can then use in the recipe.
- Preheat oven to 180C/365F/gas mark 4 and grease a cake tin with coconut oil.
- Combine all the wet ingredients together (almond milk, coconut oil, maple, almond extract and eggs) in a small bowl until smooth.
- Mix the dry ingredients together in a separate bowl, then slowly fold into the wet mixture, making sure everything is fully incorporated.
- Pour the mixture into the cake tin, spreading it with the back of a spoon so there’s an even layer. Place the cherries on top, pushing them slightly in the mixture and sprinkle over your flaked almonds.
- Bake in the oven for 20-25 mins, then let it cool fully before cutting into slices.
If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @oatsodelicious or #oatsodelicious so I can see your wonderful creations!Pin this recipe for later…