Say hello to the thickest, fluffiest blueberry pancakes you’ve ever seen!
I made these pancakes a couple of weeks ago, in preparation for a little Instagram sneak preview on Pancake Day (ie every food bloggers favourite holiday). I knew I wanted to make blueberry pancakes that were super thick and fluffy, just like proper American Diner pancakes – and they turned out amazing! I was doing the little ‘happy food dance’ you do when a recipe goes exactly to plan – you all know what I mean! I then had to quickly take photos before all the coconut yoghurt/compote consumed the pancake goodness and all was lost for my photography vision! Shout out to my patiently waiting boyfriend who was the star of the show, holding the fork in exactly the right position – scroll down to see the photo…he was very proud of himself!
What I love most about these pancakes is that even without the yoghurt and compote topping, they’re not dry at all thanks to the yummy juicy blueberries inside. Although of course I’d recommend the toppings, because I’m a topping kinda gal! If you don’t have blueberries to hand, then raspberries would would also be delicious! Or maybe try adding cocoa powder into the pancake mix and use cherries as the fruit replacement…black forest pancakes anyone?
The secret to achieving these fluffy pancakes is to let the mixture sit out for ten minutes before frying (the same method as my other pancake recipes). This mixture won’t be runny like a normal crepe style pancake – you will need to manipulate the mixture yourself to create the perfect circle! Once the batter has been left to do its thing for 10mins, heat a tbsp or so of coconut oil in a nonstick pan and spoon a couple of tbsp of pancake mixture into the pan. As the mixture is so thick you’ll need to create the pancake shape yourself – my tip is to keep the circle relatively small in diameter but still thick in height. Let them cook for a couple minutes before sprinkling over your fresh blueberries and flipping the pancake to cook on the blueberry side. Hello perfect fluffy pancakes!
These blueberry pancakes are
Super thick and fluffy
Full of juicy blueberries
Topped with a sweet blueberry compote
Ready in 20mins
Gluten and dairy free
The perfect brunch for two
- 1 & 1/4 cups GF oat flour (150g)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1 medium ripe banana
- 1/3 cup almond milk (80ml)
- 1 egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup fresh blueberries (65g)
- 2 tbsp coconut oil for frying
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries (50g)
- 1 tbsp coconut oil
- 1 tsp maple syrup/honey
- 2 tbsp coconut yoghurt
- Add all the ingredients for the pancake mix (minus the blueberries) to a blender and blend until smooth.
- Let the mixture sit for 10mins to firm up, this will help create super thick pancakes.
- Next, heat the coconut oil in a frying pan and spoon 1-2tbsp of pancake mix into the pan. Smooth into a circle with the back of your spoon but make sure you don’t thin it out too much.
- Fry for 2-3mins on one side, then place 4-5 blueberries on top of the uncooked side and push them slightly into the batter. Flip the pancake so the blueberry side is face down and continue to cook for a couple more minutes. Repeat for the rest of the batter.
- While these are cooking start making the blueberry compote. Add all the compote ingredients to a small pan and simmer on a low heat until the blueberries start to release their juices and break down into a sticky sauce.
- Once all the pancakes are ready, stack them on top of the each other, add a couple tbsp of coconut yoghurt and pour over your blueberry compote.
If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @oatsodelicious or #oatsodelicious so I can see your wonderful creations!
Pin this recipe for later…