Today is the last post in my mini ‘How to Make’ series and I’m going to be sharing my recipe for DIY nut butter. Don’t miss part 1 & 2 where I shared how to make salted date caramel and raspberry chia jam – they’re seriously yummy!
I’ve absolutely loved making these healthy food cupboard staples. What I’ve realised is how super easy it is to make these ingredients from scratch, and how much cheaper they are as well! I think it’s easy to get in the habit of buying jars of peanut butter and jam from the supermarket as it’s convenient. Don’t get me wrong, 80% of the time I’m the same and I defintely won’t be going without my Pip & Nut chocolate nut butter anytime soon!
However, I don’t think many people realise just how easy it is to make these staple ingredients. Most of the time you need to do a little prep like soaking medjool dates or roasting nuts for nut butter – but then all you need to do is pop them in the food processor, turn it on and shut the door for 10 mins. Viola – in under 20mins you have a whole jar of homemade, ready to eat deliciousness!
This recipe is one of my favourites as it allows YOU to create your very own customised nut butter!
Simply choose your favourite nut;
Then add your favourite extras: cinnamon, vanilla extract, maca powder, chia seeds? Whatever you want!
Here’s a couple of ideas…
Roasted cinnamon almond butter (this is the combo I made for these photos)
Vanilla cashew butter
Salted maca pecan butter (salted caramel anyone?)
Chocolate hazelnut butter ie healthy Nutella!
Go crazy with your flavour combos and let me know in the comments what you’ve made!
Makes 1 cup
- 3 cups whole nuts – choose from almonds, hazelnuts, pecans, or cashews (450g)
- vanilla extract
- sprinkle sea salt
- maca powder
- chia seeds
- cocoa powder
- Pre-heat your oven to 180C/160 fan
- Place your chosen nuts onto a baking tray and pop in oven for 10-15 mins or until they’re warm to touch – this will help them release their oils when blended.
- If using hazelnuts rub them with kitchen roll until the skins come off.
- Place the roasted nuts in a strong food processor and blend until you have a smooth and creamy consistency – around 10mins.
- Add in your extras and blend again until they’re mixed into the nut butter.
- Pour into a mason jar and leave to fully cool without the lid on. Enjoy!
WAYS TO USE NUT BUTTER
Drizzle over porridge, yoghurt or toast
Add to your favourite smoothie
Eat with apple slices
Eat straight out of the jar!
Stayed tuned for Sunday’s recipe where I’ll be posting a moreish nut butter muffin recipe which is utterly delicious!
If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @oatsodelicious or #oatsodelicious so I can see your wonderful creations!Pin this recipe for later…