Whenever I make mince pies, I always make more of the mincemeat filling than necessary – usually for more mince pies! This time however, I thought I’d be a bit more creative with my leftovers. Last week I shared my Healthy Mince Pie recipe, and as per I made too much filling – so thought why not use the extras in my all time favourite breakfast – PORRIDGE.
This is one of those recipes where you can use all your lovely spiced leftovers, so nothing goes to waste! The porridge tastes SO Christmassy with the spices and orange zest – I seriously can’t get enough of these flavours! In my eyes nothing beats a big bowl of creamy, Christmas spiced porridge with yummy toppings.
This porridge recipe is;
Full of lovely, warming spices
Really simple to make
Vegan, gluten and dairy free
Using up leftovers which is always a winner!
1/2 cup GF oats (50g)
1/2 cup almond milk (125ml)
1/2 cup water (125ml)
1 tsp honey/maple syrup/agave
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp ginger
1 tsp orange zest
2 cup chopped apples (235g)
1 cup raisins/sultanas (150g)
2/3 cup dried cranberries (80g)
1/2 orange zest
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp ginger
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3/4 cup apple juice (180ml) – add more if needed
*this is enough filling for 12 mince pies + extras
- If you haven’t made the fruit mincemeat yet, then I would start by following the method in my Healthy Mince Pie recipe. If you have made the mincemeat already, you don’t need to do anything for this step!
- Once your mincemeat filling is ready you can start making the porridge.
- Pour the water and milk into a small saucepan, transfer to the hob and allow to boil. While this is boiling add your oats, spices, zest and sweetener to a bowl.
- Turn the heat down as soon as the liquid has boiled and add your oats etc to the pan, stirring together until everything is fully mixed. Heat on a low temperature for a few minutes and continue to stir. This will start to thicken up.
- Turn the heat off when you have a creamy consistency and transfer to a bowl. Top with 2 tbsp of the fruit mincemeat, a sprinkle of cinnamon and granola – enjoy!