Chocolate and chai are two ingredients you might not think of pairing together, but the outcome of this breakfast recipe is truly delicious. Ever since my first chai latte last winter, I have been absolutely hooked on the taste! I know it’s now April, but chai is Christmas in a cup and no one will stop me from drinking it all year round (unless they stop selling it, then maybe I’ll stop).
For now however, I’m very content in using chai in a variety of yummy breakfast recipes, from spiced porridge to delicious yoghurt bowls with chai granola. The recipe creates a medium level of chai spice, so if you prefer a lighter chai flavour, then simply use smaller measurements. Although, of course I’d recommend my measures as I love the chai flavour!
You can use this granola in the following recipes;
- Sprinkled on top of creamy porridge
- Paired with yoghurt and berries
- As an alternative crumble topping
200g GF oats
2 tbsp chia seeds
3 tbsp coconut sugar
32g cocoa powder
25g shredded coconut
1 tbsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp allspice
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground cardamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
3 tbsp coconut oil
120ml honey/maple syrup
- Preheat your oven to 170C/150 Fan/325F
- Place the dry ingredients (oats to nutmeg) in a large bowl and mix together.
- Heat the coconut oil in a small saucepan until melted, then add in the honey until everything had dissolved and the mixture is silky smooth.
- Combine the wet and dry mixes together until everything is coated in the chai spiced goodness.
- Spread the mixture on a baking tray as evenly as possible. Pop into the middle of the oven and bake for 35mins, stirring the mixture every 5-10mins.
- Remove the granola from the oven and leave to fully cool. Store in an airtight container.