One of my favourite fruits is the humble pear. In my eyes it’s completely underestimated, but why shouldn’t it be in the same league as an apple? They’re both easy to eat fruits that don’t need preparing, they taste delicious raw or baked and can be used in both sweet and savoury dishes. Even so, the pear always seems to be forgotten about!
Well not today, as I’ve created these simple but delicious cinnamon baked pears which I’m sure the whole family will love! They can be eaten for breakfast with granola and natural yoghurt or served for dessert with some delicious vanilla ice-cream (my personal favourite!) I love creating recipes that are versatile for different stages in the day. That way the recipe can be adapted to suit your lifestyle and there’s no excuse not to have a delicious and healthy meal!
Using soft, ripe pears is essential for this recipe, as un-ripe pears will be hard to cut into and won’t provide enough sweetness to the dish. I like to leave my pears in my fruit bowl for a couple of days prior to eating, so they have a chance to fully ripen.
To accompany these pears I made a quick and easy pecan crumb which is so delicious! However, if you don’t have these ingredients to hand, baking the pears with just the cinnamon and honey will be fine! You could always serve with a yummy nutty cinnamon granola as a replacement.
3 medium, ripe pears
1 tbsp honey/maple syrup if vegan
25g pecans, chopped
2 tbsp GF oats
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tbsp ground cinnamon
1/4 ground nutmeg
1 tbsp coconut sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180c/160 fan/350F.
- Cut the pears in half lengthways and spoon out the flesh/seeds in the middle of the pear to create a small cavity. Place the pear halves on a baking tray.
- Sprinkle 1 tsp of cinnamon and the coconut sugar over the pears.
- In a small bowl, combine the chopped pecans, remaining cinnamon and nutmeg, oats and melted coconut oil.
- Spoon the mixture into the cavity of the pears, and scatter the remaining mixture on top of the pears (if the cavities are full).
- Drizzle the honey evenly over the pears and bake in the oven for 20-25mins.
- Serve the pears warm with natural yoghurt for breakfast or ice-cream for dessert – enjoy!