Hands up who’s a fan of tahini? Up until recently, I’ve only ever used tahini to make creamy homemade hummus and yummy falafels. However, 2019 is the year to try something new (or so I’m telling myself). So here I am practising what I preach and making delicious gluten free tahini blondies, using a traditionally savoury ingredient.
The result? Delicious blondies with a gooey, cake-like texture, dotted with melted chocolate chips and a subtle taste of tahini. In short, a very yummy snack perfect with a cup of tea!
Although I love gluten-free brownies, there’s something about the simplicity of a blondie that makes me want to experiment with different flavours! Nut butter, fruit, flavoured coffee, chocolate melt-in-the middle – the possibilities are endless!
Unlike a lot of dense shop-bought gluten free cakes, making your own tahini blondies means you can have them as gooey and melt-in-the-mouth as you like. Don’t be put off of making these blondies because you’re unsure of the tahini taste – try something new and you may surprise yourself!
Fancy trying another blondie recipe? Why not make my peanut butter & raspberry swirl blondies! PS please ignore the ghastly photos – I promise they still taste amazing!
75g coconut sugar
50g coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
180g ground almonds
60g GF oat flour
1 tsp cinnamon (optional)
1 tsp baking powder
1/3 cup dark chocolate chips + 2 tbsp topping
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160 fan/350F and line a baking tray with greaseproof paper – set aside.
In a large bowl, whisk together the eggs, coconut sugar, tahini, coconut oil and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Next add the dry ingredients: ground almonds, GF oat flour, cinnamon, baking powder and salt. Mix until a cookie dough consistency forms, then gently fold in the dark chocolate chips.
- Pour the batter into the prepared tray and spread evenly. Sprinkle the remaining chocolate chips over the top and bake in the oven for 18-20 minutes, until the top is golden.
- Leave to cool in the tray for 10 mins, then transfer to a cooling rack.
- Cut into 9 bars and enjoy!