Today I’m sharing with you one of my all time favourite baking experiments: my gluten free chocolate hazelnut tart.
This delicious gluten free tart has a crisp chocolate hazelnut base, filled with silky chocolate coconut cream and topped with roasted hazelnuts and fresh berries. I’ll let you in on a little secret – each slice tastes like pure heaven!
However, this gluten free chocolate hazelnut tart wasn’t exactly what I planned to make at the time.
Originally I had baked a chocolate hazelnut cake, with high hopes of the most magnificent chocolate sponge to come out of the oven. What did I get instead? A sunken, barely cooked cake that I had slaved away for hours making, cost a small fortune to create and left me with a disheartened feeling in my stomach.
When baking disasters happen, the best thing for me to do is step out of the kitchen and have a breather. I came back the next day still wanting to create something with chocolate and hazelnuts, but maybe not another cake quite yet. Thus the gluten free chocolate hazelnut tart was born!
This tart is gluten free and vegan, but you honestly wouldn’t know. My non-coeliac family absolutely loved it and hoovered it up in about 2 days. If you don’t trust me on how delicious it is, trust them!
Looking to try another gluten free baking recipe? My Chocolate Chip Tahini Blondies are a firm favourite!
100g hazelnuts + 20g for the topping
150g ground almonds
65g coconut oil, melted
2 tbsp cocoa powder
3 tbsp maple syrup
250ml full fat coconut cream
200g dark chocolate (70%)
50g coconut sugar
- Preheat your oven to 180C/160 fan/350F and grease a tart/quiche tin with coconut oil.
- Start by placing your hazelnuts on a baking tray and roast them in the oven for 10 minutes.
- Once roasted, add 100g of the hazelnuts to a food processor and pulse until they’re completely broken up and resemble a flour-like consistency. Set aside the remaining 20g for the topping.
- Pour the hazelnut flour into a large bowl and add the remaining base ingredients. Mix together until fully combined.
- Press the base mixture tightly into your tart tin, making sure it’s even along the bottom and around the sides. Bake for around 15 minutes, remove from the oven and leave to cool.
- To make your filling, heat the coconut cream and coconut sugar in a small pan on the hob until the sugar has dissolved and the mixture is warm.
- Whilst this is warming up, break the chocolate into small pieces and pop them in a small microwavable bowl. Cover with clingfilm and pop in the microwave for 30 secs until the chocolate has slightly melted – heat for another 30 secs
- if need be. You don’t want to fully melt the chocolate, just slightly soften it.
- Once the coconut cream/sugar is warm, pour on top of your semi-melted chocolate and whisk until you have a silky consistency.
- Pour the chocolate coconut filling into the cooled crust and top with the leftover roasted hazelnuts and fresh raspberries.
- Pop it in the fridge for 3-4 hours to set then enjoy!