Introducing the revamped childhood classic: my healthy chocolate rice crispy squares.
Like most adults, I love re-living the memorable foods, movies and trends from my childhood. Growing up, I enjoyed baking but never experimented with that many recipes as my mum wasn’t a natural baker (sorry mum!) Imagine flat pancake-style cakes every time – this was also pre-coeliac disease so there really was no excuse!
One of my favourite quick and easy sweet treats to make was chocolate rice crispy cakes. Super simple with no skill or baking required – a failsafe recipe in my eyes. The best part was if I couldn’t wait for them to set I could just eat the mixture straight out of the bowl, did anyone else do that? As a child that was the dream!
20 years on, not much has changed as I still love making quick and easy sweet treats. However, nowadays my palette has matured and I’m no longer craving the sickly sweet cakes I did as a child. This is why these healthy chocolate rice crispy squares are the perfect replacement! They take 10 minutes to prepare and only need 30 minutes – 1 hour setting time in the fridge.
That’s a pretty speedy snack if you ask me! Pop them in an airtight container in the fridge and you have a healthy chocolate treat ready and waiting for you over the next couple of weeks. That’s if no-one else gets their hands on them first!
These healthy chocolate rice crispy squares are gluten free, dairy free and vegan (if you use maple syrup instead of honey). With only 4 easy-to-find ingredients, they are an affordable, delicious and healthy chocolate snack.
It’s time to grab your bowl and wooden spoon and re-live your childhood!
100ml full fat coconut milk
200g dark chocolate (70%)
2 tbsp honey/maple syrup
25g puffed rice
- Start by lining a baking tin* with greaseproof paper. Set aside.
- Pour the coconut milk into a small pan and warm through over a low heat.
- While this is warming, snap the chocolate into a bowl and pop in the microwave for 30 secs – 1 min so it starts to soften. It doesn’t need to be completely melted.
- Add the honey/maple syrup to the chocolate and pour over the warm coconut milk. Stir gently to combine.
- Next, fold in the puffed rice and salt and mix together until each piece of rice is covered in the chocolate.
- Pour into your prepared tin and pop in the fridge for an hour.
- Once set, cut into squares and store in an airtight container in the fridge – enjoy!