This week I’m sharing a delicious, crunchy breakfast treat: my gluten free chocolate almond butter granola.
I have a little sweet spot for granola and I don’t think I’ll ever get bored of it! Delicious and super easy to make, this breakfast food/snack is so versatile. Enjoy it on its own with dairy free milk, sprinkled on top of creamy porridge or served with yoghurt and berries. I’ve been making my own granola for several years now and I don’t think I’d ever go back to the shop bought variety.
With anything homemade, you know exactly what ingredients have gone into the recipe and you can adapt the flavour combinations to your own personal taste. Get into the kitchen and be as creative as you like. Whether that’s with this chocolate almond butter granola or a unique flavour combination you love. How many times have you seen a healthy, gluten free chocolate granola in your local supermarket? If you can’t find the products you love on the shelves, you have to make them yourself! That’s my excuse anyway…
Plus, you can’t beat the smell of homemade granola cooking in the oven!
This recipe has been adapted from my two favourite granola creations: my peanut butter cluster granola and chocolate chai granola. I wanted to combine the nut butter element and decadent chocolate flavour from both of these recipes. Therefore, creating a delicious and moreish breakfast treat.
The almond butter creates yummy, crunchy clusters whilst bringing a subtle nut butter taste to the recipe. Meanwhile, the decadent chocolate adds a little ‘something extra’ to your morning breakfast bowl. In other words, it’s like eating dessert in the morning.
That’s my ideal way to start the day!
200g GF oats
60g whole almonds
100g pecans, chopped
1 tbsp chia seeds
4 tbsp cocoa powder
140g smooth almond butter
170g maple syrup
3 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
- Preheat your oven to 170C/150 Fan/325F.
- Start by mixing the dry ingredients in a large bowl, making sure the cocoa powder is covering each ingredient.
- Next, melt the coconut oil in a pan, then stir in the remaining wet ingredients until fully mixed.
- Add the wet to the dry mix – the almond butter will be quite thick, so keep stirring until there are no dry oats/nuts left.
- Split the granola between two baking trays, making sure they’re evenly spread out and bake in the oven for 25-30mins, stirring every 5-10mins. If you think they’re colouring too early, turn the oven temperature down slightly.
- Leave to cool fully before storing in a jar/airtight container.