After a little break from blogging last week, I’m back with a brand new gluten free recipe: my Superfood Chocolate Bark!
I’ve recently moved house with my boyfriend to just outside of Cambridge, and I have to say so far I’m loving it! We’ve managed to get through a good amount of boxes, built plenty of flat-packed furniture without killing each other and survived last week’s heatwave. Most importantly, the kitchen is set up and ready for some serious recipe-making. Starting with this yummy superfood chocolate bark!
I didn’t realise until moving house how easy it is to forget about food when you’re busy. I’ve always been a snack gal, and the thought of forgetting my mid-afternoon bite baffles me. However, it’s easily done when you’re stretched for time.
That’s why having a snack like this healthy chocolate bark is perfect to keep in your fridge. Especially for busy days! Being able to grab something tasty and good for you without any hassle is my idea of heaven!
The beauty of this recipe is that you can swap the fruit/nuts to whatever you have in your cupboards at the moment. I’ve chosen the below ingredients for their nutritional benefits and ‘superfood’ qualities. However, the reality is any fruit/nut is a superfood in my eyes!
Hazelnuts – Commonly known for their heart health and muscle building benefits, hazelnuts are rich in magnesium, iron and vitamins B and C. They are also said to help with diabetes and memory loss.
Chia seeds – Chia seeds are a good source of omega-3 fatty acids, fibre, protein, antioxidants, iron, and calcium. They are also very easy to digest (ideally when soaked), so are perfect for anyone with gut issues!
Pistachios – Technically a fruit, pistachios contain healthy fats and are a good source of protein, fibre and antioxidants.
Goji berries – These small berries are an excellent source of antioxidants. They can also help prevent premature ageing, boost the immune system and protect against heart disease.
300g dark chocolate (70%)
2 tbsp coconut oil
- Start by adding the chocolate and coconut oil to a bain marie. Melt on a low heat until the mixture is silky smooth.
- While this is melting, line a baking tray with parchment paper.
- Once the chocolate has melted, pour into the baking tray and smooth the mixture with the back of a spoon/spatula.
- Sprinkle over the hazelnuts, chia seeds, pistachios and goji berries.
- Pop in the fridge for 30 minutes to firm up.
- Once set, use a sharp knife to cut the chocolate into pieces.
- Store in an airtight container in the fridge – enjoy!