Before autumn turns into Christmas central, I thought I’d share my favourite cosy breakfast: gluten free pumpkin spice porridge!
For many, the 1st November equals Christmas and Michael Bublé on repeat. However, I’m still in love with warm and cosy autumnal flavours! Give me cinnamon maple pancakes, chai granola and pecan shortbread cookies all day everyday. Not to forget the flavour of the season: pumpkin spice!
WARM AND COSY BREAKFAST
Beat the morning chill with this yummy warming breakfast, full of pumpkin spice deliciousness. To make this gluten free pumpkin spice porridge as autumnal as possible, I’ve included THREE types of pumpkin goodness in this recipe (there’s never too much!)
- Pumpkin spice blend – a homemade blend of cinnamon, ginger, cloves, nutmeg and allspice.
- Pumpkin puree – a key ingredient to many autumnal recipes, pumpkin puree adds a lovely warming flavour to this porridge (it’s not overpowering, promise!) and of course creates the gorgeous orange colour.
- Pumpkin spice almond butter – not essential for the recipe, but it adds another level of spice which I love! Make your own version my adding almonds and a couple of tsp of the pumpkin spice blend to a strong food processor. Alternatively you can use plain almond butter.
Finish off this gluten free pumpkin spice porridge with an array of delicious toppings. The more the merrier in my eyes! Choose from your favourite nut butter, fruit, chopped nuts and any extras – remember this is your breakfast bowl!
The toppings I chose were:
Greek yoghurt for a boost of protein
Almond butter because you can’t go wrong with more nut butter!
Fresh figs to cut through the creaminess of the porridge
Chopped pecans as a texture contrast
Chia seeds for added fibre
Rose petals purely as a pop of colour
Looking to try another autumnal breakfast recipe? Try my gluten free chai spiced porridge!
Gluten Free Pumpkin Spice Porridge
- 100g GF oats
- 250ml milk
- 250ml water
- 4 tbsp pumpkin puree
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice blend*
- 2 tsp maple syrup
- 2 tsp pumpkin spice almond butter (or normal almond butter)
- 1 fig
- 2 tbsp greek yoghurt
- 2 tsp almond butter
Heat the water and milk in a pan on a medium temperature until it starts to boil. Next, turn the heat down and add in the GF oats, pumpkin puree, spice blend, maple syrup and almond butter and keep stirring until creamy. Transfer to a bowl and top with the yoghurt, almond butter and figs - enjoy!
*to make my pumpkin spice blend, mix together 2 tbsp ground cinnamon, 2 tsp ground ginger, 1 tsp ground nutmeg, 1 tsp ground allspice & 1 tsp ground cloves.
If you’ve made this recipe, don’t forget to tag me on Instagram @oatsodelicious or #oatsodelicious so I can see your wonderful creations!