240g ground almonds
1 tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cardamom
½ tsp ground ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
230g + 1tsp honey, divided
50g coconut oil, melted
Cream Cheese Frosting
200g cream cheese (full fat)
115g unsalted butter (room temperature)
400g icing sugar
Handful of fresh fruit – berries, figs etc
- Preheat your oven to 170C/150 fan and line a loose bottom cake tin with parchment paper. Start by mixing the dry ingredients together in a large bowl (ground almonds, baking powder, spices).
- Next, in a separate bowl whisk together the wet ingredients (eggs, honey, melted coconut oil and orange zest).
- Mix the dry and wet ingredients together, being careful not to overmix.
- Transfer to the prepared cake tin and bake for 40-45 mins unil the top is golden.
- Take the cake out of the oven and transfer to a cooling rack. Whilst this is cooling, squeeze out 3 tbsp of fresh orange juice and add to a small pan with 1 tsp honey. Heat on a medium temperature until combined.
- Pierce the cake with a toothpick and gently pour the orange/honey glaze over the warm cake until it all sinks in.
- To make the frosting, simply combine the cream cheese and butter until smooth using an electric whisk.
- Slowly sieve in the icing sugar, around 100g at a time, and continue whisking. I find it easier to gently stir in the icing sugar with a spoon so it’s not sitting at the top. That way when you use your electric whisk it doesn’t fly around everywhere in an icing sugar cloud!
- You can make this ahead of time and leave it in the fridge until you’re ready to use it.
- Once the cake has cooled, spread the frosting over the top and finish with berries and cropped pistachios – delicious!
Read the full post – Gluten Free Orange Honey Cake