Autumn recipes are slowly popping up on my Instagram feed and it now seems appropriate to share cosy, autumnal and hygge-esque recipes. These gluten free chocolate banana waffles are defintely my idea of a cosy breakfast – who doesn’t want to have chocolate in the morning?
Chocolate can sometimes get a bad rep. We associate it with an unhealthy chocolate bar or cinema snack, however in moderation it can actually be very good for you. Dark chocolate (70-85%) is loaded with nutrients and is a great source of antioxidants. Of course, eating a bar a night wouldn’t be ideal, but a few squares here and there is the perfect amount to enjoy.
As well as eating dark chocolate, I love adding cacao or cocoa powder to my breakfasts. Whether that’s a gluten free porridge bowl, smoothie or waffles, I love how it creates an indulgent, yet healthy meal. That’s why these gluten free chocolate banana waffles are the perfect autumnal breakfast or brunch recipe. The cocoa powder adds a lovely warmth to the traditional waffle, making them extremely moreish – you won’t stop at just one!
Adding a ripe banana into the mixture helps lift the recipe so it doesn’t feel too heavy. Using banana also creates the most wonderful fluffy texture. They may be gluten free but they’re as light as a feather!
I’ve chosen to top my chocolate waffles with extra banana slices, crushed pistachios, rose petals and melted chocolate – I might as well have all the indulgence! Alternatively, you could top yours with greek yoghurt, peanut butter, berries or homemade granola.
Not a big fan of chocolate in the morning? Why not try these gluten free waffle recipes;
100g GF oats
1 ripe banana
180ml milk of choice
2 tsp honey/maple syrup
1/2 tsp baking powder
2 tbsp cocoa/cacao powder
- Start by preheating your waffle iron to the required temperature.
- Add all the ingredients for the waffle mixture into a blender and blend until smooth.
- Spray the heated waffle iron with cooking spray and pour on half the batter, spreading the mixture into each corner.
- Close the lid and cook for around 4-5mins or until the waffle is crisp, then transfer to your plate.
- Repeat with remaining batter.
- Finish with your favourite toppings and enjoy!